Tips for Sending Automated Email Campaigns
By Sarah Miller 3/8/2020
Email automation makes it easy to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, send reminders and more. If you haven't used this feature, here's the skinny on what it is, how it works and how you can make the most of automated email campaigns for your business.
What's the difference between an automated email campaign and a scheduled email?
When you create an email in CorpNote, you can send it right away, or scheduled it to be sent.
An automated email is different in that you can select email templates you have designed and have them automatically sent to
an email list of recipients at an interval that you choose. For example: if you are sending birthday eCards, they will go out year after year, to the email list you've selected, without any additional intervention.
How to Set Up an Automated Email Campaign
- Step 1: Create email templates that you want to send for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays etc.
- Step 2: Create an Email list: In your address book, create an email list with the contacts that you want to send your automated email campaign to.
- Step 3: Set up your automated email campaign: If you have at least one email tamplate and one email list, go to Email > Email Automation and click the 'create new' tab. Follow the onscreen instructions to choose your type of automation, the email list the campign sends to, and the templates and order that you want your emails sent.
For detailed instructions, read our tutorial: Email Automation and Email Campaigns
Automated Emails - 'Power User' Tips
- Tracking your automated email campaigns - When CorpNote sends your emails, you will see them in your email history intermixed with your other sent emails. Automated emails are identified by this icon .
To see just the automated emails you have sent, click the tab for 'Search and Reports.' In the 'Show' drop down menu, select automated emails. The search results will show only automated emails and their corresponding view statistics.
- Address Book Contacts – We recommend that you add as much contact information as you can including birthday and anniversary dates. This makes it easier for you to search for contacts and to send automated emails for birthdays and anniversaries.
- Contact 'Start Date' – The address book start date field can be used for automated email campaigns that celebrate customer and employment anniversaries. For example: include the date an employee started with your company or the date a customer first did business with you.
- New Contacts - When adding new contacts, you can easily include them in an automated email campaign by adding them to the email list that you set to receive an automated email series.
- Email Templates – There are no limits on the number of email templates you can have in your automated email campaigns. If you are part of a Multi User Plan, the administrator can share email templates with their members and these can also be assigned to automated email campaigns.
- Email Template Randomization - You can randomize your email templates so your recipients don't receive the same email design the next time they are scheduled to receive an automated email.
- Email Personalization – If you use the 'auto-fill first name' feature in your email template, all of the contacts in your email campaign series will be personally greeted by the name you have for them in your address book.
- Unsubscribed Contacts – At the bottom of every email you send there is a link for the recipient to unsubscribe from your email list. If they unsubscribe, CorpNote will automatically stop the sending of emails to their email address regardless of what email lists or automated email campaigns you have them assigned to.
Creative Ways to Use Automated Emails
Now that you know how email automation works, here are some creative ways to customize your next automated email campaign.
- Birthday emails can be made extra special with a coupon or special offer for customers or a day off for employees on their birthday.
- Customer and Employee Milestones can be celebrated with anniversary emails. Consider celebrating the date a customer or employee first starting working with you.
- Reminders for clients to schedule appointments, checkups, renewals etc.
- Holiday emails can be sent on the holiday or up to 7 days in advance. Many people send Season's Greetings eCards but holiday emails can be sent for any holiday to keep your business top-of-mind.
- Send sales promotions and announcements on a regular schedule, such as once weekly or monthly.
We're sure you will come up with many other great uses for sending automated emails. They can be used for pretty much any email campaign that requires a scheduled series of notices.
What happens to automated email campaigns when a membership lapses?
If your account becomes inactive (because you cancelled, or your credit card expired and wasn't updated), your automated emails will not be sent.
When you cancel, or if your payment fails, CorpNote retains your account data for a grace period of 60 days (unless you ask us to delete this information upon termination). During this time, automated emails will not be sent. For your security, accounts that are inactive for 60 days are automatically cleared of all account data, which means all automated email campaigns and scheduled emails in your account are permanently deleted.
If you restore your account within the 60-day grace period, your automated email campaigns will commence on the day following your account re-activation. To avoid interruption of your automated emails campaigns, please make sure that your account payment is up to date, and that you respond to our billing notifications promptly.
Get the latest email marketing news delivered to your inbox: Subscribe to our email newsletter
Questions about automated emails?
Please visit our FAQs and tutorials or call our tech support staff M-F 9am to 5pm EST at 609-406-1665. We welcome your questions and want to help you make the most of your membership!